THE LILLER FAMILY

THE LILLER FAMILY
Our Boys!

Monday, June 30, 2008

Atlanta Trip

We just got back from an awesome trip to Atlanta. My sister and her family moved there from NYC back in January, so we were finally able to make the LONG 590 mile trek down there to visit them.

Although it was a long weekend - it certainly didn't seem very long! We can't wait to go back!!! The boys had a great time with their cousin, and we had a great time learning more about the city and all it has to offer.

When we arrived on Friday, the boys went to tour a brewery, and we hung out at the house and made papaw's birthday cake (we ended up celebrating it last night).

Saturday we went to the pool and toured the city. Later that night, my sister took my mom and I to the brand new Verizon Wireless outdoor amphitheatre (which looks A LOT like our Verizon outdoor amphitheatre here in Indy). Anyway, my sister is now the Director of Media and Public Relations for the Atlanta Symphony Orchestra - and this amphitheatre was built by the ASO. Not only do they book the big rock band types that we're used to seeing here, but the coolest thing is that the orchestra uses it too for outdoor concerts. Saturday night, the ASO presented all Beethoven pieces and it was AMAZING!!! Most of you probably don't know my "classical" side - but I played violin from 4th grade through high school, so it's always really cool to get back to that. My sister played in the orchestra with me when we were in high school - she played flute though. Anyway, since she's a big wig with the ASO, we got to tour the facility and go back stage after the show.

Sunday we all went to the Georgia Aquarium. It's the largest aquarium in the world and it was pretty amazing! I'm probably going to do another post on that later - I took way too many pictures there, so it deserves it's own post!!! After that, we went back to the pool for awhile before heading out to dinner with some of our extended family. My cousin Mike and his wife and family live near Atlanta too - and his parents (my aunt and uncle) were there visiting at the same time, so we all met for dinner. When we got home, we celebrated my dad's birthday (which was on the 25th). Then we had to pack up all our junk to head back home the next morning.

Here are a few pics from the weekend. Thanks Melissa, Mark and Kyle for being such awesome hosts - we can't wait to come back to see you!!!




The boys outside the aquarium near Centennial Park where the Olympics were held.


Preparing to bake the birthday cake and cupcakes. Who knew my kids would be into the whole baking thing? Aunt Melissa supervised while the boys "helped".


Now this was funny! This is called the Georgia White House. It is a real house that is 3/4ths scale of the real White House. Apparently some guy from Iran built this when he became an American citizen as a tribute to living the american dream - or something like that. It's literally a mile from my sister's place. I thought it was cool looking, but I guess the majority of GA thinks it's gaudy! I should've tried to get a better pic of it, b/c off to the right is another "guest" house (which is probably 3 times the size of my house) and a gate house at the entrance to the driveway.


Melissa, Mom and I at the brand new Verizon Wireless Amphitheatre at Encore Park.


It pays to know someone on the inside. My sister got us FANTASTIC seats to see the show!


Okay, call me cheesy, but after the show backstage, my sister introduced us to the orchestra's conductor (Robert Spano on the left) and the special pianist who performed with them on Beethoven's Emperor Concerto (Dejan Lazic on the right). Dejan was just here in Indy 2 weeks ago performing with our orchestra - now that I've seen him play, I'm going to take him up on his offer to come see him in Indy next year!!! The whole concert was unbelievable, but even more than that - the entire staff and orchestra members were so personable! The ASO all seem to love having Melissa on their staff - and of course I agree! I'm proud of you sis!!!


The bigger family at dinner Sunday night.


I guess these would be cousins and 2nd cousins. From the left is my sister's little boy Kyle, Blake, Grant, Evan, Ava, and Alex (Ava and Alex are my cousin Mike's kids).


The "original" cousins: Melissa, Mike and me.


The ending to the weekend - we finally got to sing Happy Birthday - and the kids helped Papaw blow out the candles.

2 comments:

Nook said...

Looks like you had a great trip. All the stress on Wednesday must have fizzled because you look pretty relaxed!

Love ya.
Shan

Shannon said...

This just looks so wonderful!! I am so glad it was a great trip for you guys. We can't wait for the Liller Bash tomorrow night!! Excited to see you then!! And I love the way you dress your boys. They always look so clean cut and handsome. Exactly who I would want my daughter to be with ;)!!Love ya!! Shan Pon