THE LILLER FAMILY

THE LILLER FAMILY
Our Boys!

Wednesday, May 07, 2008

ASPERGER'S SYNDROME



Which one are you???

Most children live in a dog world: A dog loves to be around people and socially interact with them. They willingly show affection, and follow their master’s commands. They also love to play and hang around other dogs no matter what activity their engaged in.

Asperger’s children live in a cat world: A cat is generally a loner. They prefer doing things their own way and like/need their solitude. Cats come to people on their own terms in their own time and they aren’t very social unless they choose to be. They have a routine and like to stick to it. They have one interest at a time (usually that silly piece of string they love to paw at). And when backed into a corner, a cat will lash out.

Evan is a cat - you can probably tell by looking at the picture above, he loves mice!

Okay, so he's not really a cat, but he lives in a "cat" world. I don't know why this is so difficult to write - it's been going on in our lives for 8 years. I think sometimes it's harder to write about it than it is to tell people about it, at least, it is for me.


I'll warn you now this is a long post - I've debated blogging about this for quite some time, but it feels right as of now. Please read it when you have a few minutes to absorb it fully - and read it with an open heart and mind. Finally, please only leave a comment if you have something positive to say. We've had enough negative in all the years this has been going on - and it's never going to be truly over.



Evan's Story


We've had issues with Evan basically since he was a toddler. We noticed things were different when he was 2-3 yrs. old. We started early intervention when he was about 3 1/2 (thinking ADHD but not knowing for sure) with behavior modification therapy, chiropractic care, diet restrictions - anything that DIDN'T require medication (to see if we could "fix" his problems that way). Nothing really worked and by the time he was 6, we finally resorted to medication after confirming though the Conner's Forms, his teacher, and with our pediatrician that he was, indeed, ADHD. He could never sit still - just constantly bouncing all over the place; could never focus; didn't have great interaction with other children socially (was pretty behind in social skills or was just a loner of sorts if others weren't doing what he wanted to do). He also couldn't do anything without asking him over and over and over again. So we started off with Strattera (the only non-stimulant ADHD medication) and it worked fairly well for about 1 1/2 years as we kept upping the dose.

Then about 2 yrs. ago or so, he started showing other problems - not just the ADHD stuff, but poorer social skills and wanting to "not live on this earth anymore", among other off-the-wall things. We took him off the Strattera as it seemingly stopped working, and tried some stimulant based drugs (Adderall, Focalin), but they made things 100 times worse! On these drugs, he was having paranoia episodes, psychosis events, nervous twitches - so we took him off everything - and that's when our pediatrician said there was a lot more going on than just the ADHD, and he had to give this case over to someone who knew more about this kind of stuff. So, he recommended we see a psychiatrist. When we started seeing the shrink, his evaluation concurred with the ADHD but he also diagnosed him with Depression (or possibly it might turn into a Bi-Polar Disorder diagnosis (BPD) down the road). Apparently stimulant drugs can cause the freakish episodes in kids who potentially have BPD or mood disorders. So we put him back on the Strattera for the ADHD and added Prozac for the Depression. The Prozac helped level him out in some ways, and he no longer wanted to kill himself, but a few weeks later, he suddenly wanted to kill his brothers and/or me. We were also having all kinds of school, social, and emotional problems with him the past few months. No one really knew what to do with him - and he completely isolated himself refusing to talk to anyone about his problems, so the psychiatrist referred us to the Gallahue Day Therapy Program to see if they could help him, and that's when things really started making sense for us. They immediately took him off the Prozac and put him on a mood stabilizer, which has been a good thing. He went 3 days a week (they picked him up at school at 11:30 a.m. and stayed at the clinic until we picked him up at 5 :00 p.m). We would also occasionally have a family therapy session. He "graduated" from the Day Therapy program April 3rd after 3 weeks in the program, but they truly believe after all their evaluations, observations and sessions, that in addition to the ADHD and Depression, he also has Asperger's Syndrome.


As a little background for you, Hans Asperger was an Austrian pediatrician who, in 1944, found a pattern – occurring mostly in boys – which included a lack of empathy, little ability to form friendships, one-sided conversations, and an intense absorption in a special interest (that is the quick paragraph, Cliff's Notes version of the syndrome)!

Asperger's (named after it's founder above) is an Autism Spectrum Disorder on the high-functioning end of the spectrum. The Day Therapy program we went to helped him learn some coping skills among other things, but they kinda did all they could for him there - they see their clinic as an "ER" of sorts - so it's never a long term thing. They did however recommend he see a psychologist on an ongoing basis who specializes in child psychiatric disorders (like Asperger's, Autism, BPD, ODD, etc...), so he goes to a great female child psychologist here in Fishers once a week to continue helping him in learning the appropriate way to behave, act, interact, socialize, etc. Hopefully he'll learn all these in time - he'll have to in order to get along in society appropriately. There is no cure for Asperger's - and no real medication that can help with social issues. Since he has some mood disorders and depression in addition to the Asperger's & ADHD, he's on 2 medications that seem to help even him out, but when you have something like Asperger's, no medication is a fix!

Even though the Day Therapy therapists and psychologists saw the Asperger's in Evan (they say he's "classic Asperger's"), we had a more in-depth psychological testing session yesterday with a renowned psychiatrist. We, as his parents, also definitely see the bigger problems: the lack of understanding/capability of showing or feeling concern for other people's emotions; the very rigid thought process; his immaturity in the lack of social skills needed for human development; the difficulty he has in making/keeping friendships; his ability to only have one (intense) interest at a time - and let me expand on that for a minute...
When he was a toddler, it was cars. Up until about 1 1/2 years ago, it was anything pertaining to dogs (I think he can still tell you every species of dog and what their personality traits are). For the past 1 1/2 years, it's been all Pokemon. Thank goodness it's made a comeback recently because some of the friendships he has now depend/rely on the Pokemon craze. These interests are all-consuming! It would occupy ALL his time if we let it, and he rarely wants to deviate from it. Luckily for us, this has a positive side in that it's also helping improve his social skills - we're working hard on those.
Anyway, we just felt like we needed to take this last evaluative step to verify what we already knew in our heart.

The little bit I have learned so far in one of the books I'm reading on Asperger's by Tony Attwood
describes Evan to a T - but he has other issues that make it a little harder - and may have made it harder for the "professionals" to see it right off the bat. For one, he's extremely intelligent (his IQ is 126!), and of course he also has the ADHD and Depression. Socially, he's way behind his peers, doesn't much care what anyone thinks if it doesn't pertain to him or his interests, has little understanding or concern for others emotions, etc. - but because he's so smart, he has sometimes been able to compensate for it (which apparently was why is was so hard correctly diagnosing him all these years)! He can observe how people behave, but doesn't always appropriately apply it - so it comes off really inappropriate sometimes. I know it will take time for him to learn the adaptive skills he's going to need, but I know we have an even longer and harder road ahead of us as he gets older and hormones kick in!

This is hard to sum up quickly. Evan's a great kid, we just have to help him be as healthy and as happy as possible. It's daunting on some days, but other days I feel like I can conquer the world. I also worry about the other 2 boys - if they'll have this someday or if they'll be "normal", but I basically just have to put it in God's hands and let Him help me with all of it - it's too much for us to bear on our own.

So if you could just offer up some prayers when you think of us, we would appreciate it. I used to think that if I kept it out of sight & out of mind - it would disappear. ADHD was okay because tons of kids have it and it's "socially acceptable" in most circles, but this condition isn't like that, and it's not as well-known. I'm going to become an advocate not only for my son, but for the community. I want to educate as many people as I can about this syndrome. I was asked to help give a presentation at his school's staff in-service day last week, and that felt good helping educate our educators! I prepared a powerpoint presentation to help teachers and staff know how to help a child with Asperger's (if you would like to see it, I can forward it to you via email). I'm also hoping to start a family support group for Asperger's. Since it's on the Autism spectrum, I would love for it to become as well-known as Autism someday.

Here's why
:

Most people look at these children having tantrums, acting in inappropriate situational ways and think "my kid would NEVER be allowed to act like that" - yet they don't know what is going on with that child. This happened right in front of me just the other day while I was singing at Evan's school for a Personal Best Program. All the classes get to sit in on the program, but not everyone receives the award. I saw this child sitting in front of me during the 1st and 2nd grade program, and he was clearly distressed that his name wasn't being called for recognition. Some of his mannerisms and actions were "out of character" and my heart instantly ached for him. Yet the parent sitting next to me (an acquaintance friend) turned to me and said "my kids would never act like that". Part of me was astonished and angry for the comment, but the other part of me felt sorry for her - she was obviously caught up in her own child's "personal best perfection" that she just couldn't see outside the bubble. Maybe this is why I'm so passionate about wanting to help people understand!

You see, Asperger's is unlike other "visual" conditions. You can tell if a child is physically handicapped, you can tell if a child has Downs Syndrome - simply by looking at them. But an Asperger's child looks COMPLETELY NORMAL! It's what's happening on the inside that is their detriment. If they tantrum, act out inappropriately, or do things that other children typically don't do - it just looks like their parents are to blame for failure to "bring them up right" or "discipline them correctly". So again, my goal is not only to help Evan and others like him, but it's also to help the general public know more about these types of pervasive development disorders.

My friend Dodi also has a son recently diagnosed with Asperger's. Dodi is in my Bunco group, and we really bonded a few weeks ago with the private pain we've been going through as parents of a child with Asperger's. Mason is a lot younger than Evan - and each Asperger's child is uniquely different, but we all experience the same pain of not having that "perfect" child . . . yet, they ARE perfect to us and especially to God.

Dodi has started a blog dedicated to helping Mason - it's an outlet for her to share her experiences with her son. I'm so proud of her for doing it!!! Click on "My Friend Dodi's Asperger's Blog" under Cool Links to the left for more on her story.

Someday I'll ask God all the "why's" - until then, I'm going to do all I can to help Evan, and help others like him and their families. Asperger's doesn't have to be a negative - we can turn it into a positive. Maybe this has been God's plan for me all this time - I've just finally opened my eyes to look at it head on and embrace it . . . ALL of it. That includes not keeping it a secret anymore, not dodgeballing it, not making excuses for why Evan is the way he is. He's one of the best things that ever happened to us, and I'm going to cherish him so that he always knows that!!! For some reason, God chose us to be Evan's parents - I just hope He thinks we're doing an okay job so far - we wouldn't be where we are today without our faith in Him!!!


To our family and friends who've supported us, God bless you for any part you've played in Evan's life and in ours. This blog won't be a forum for Asperger's, but if you ever want to know more, or know of someone who needs support and/or education - please contact me. Thanks for listening.

35 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi, i'm jamella heart le'arn. I read your blog about Evan. I understand what you are feeling. I am 23 years old. I had and still have ADHD and at the same time bipolar disorder. Though i don't have ASPERGER'S SYNDROME, i know the difficulty and pain in having some psychological disorder. I know Evan will be able to surpass this challenge in his life and also you and your family. With love and affection and assurance, he'll be able to stand up and be normal. Though it might be tiring and frustrating and sometimes you might feel you want to give up, please don't give up. We who have this disorders need to feel loved and we need to see it. I'm very glad that you have found out Evan's situation. I'll pray for you, your family and Evan. Take care and God will not leave you. He loves you and Evan.

Bill Wolfe said...

Beth, I am really proud of you -- I'm sure this did take a lot of courage to post. Evan is a very special boy. I know your family has been through a lot with Evan and I can really sense a relief in your words about getting a clear picture of what is going on with him and how you can help him going forward.

I know you like Jeremiah 29:11
"For I know the plans I have for you," says the Lord. “They are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope".

I love that verse and I also like Hebrews 10:23:
"Let us hold unswervingly to the hope we profess, for he who promised is faithful."

God is faithful and He does have a perfect plan for Evan and your family.

You are just at the beginning of a cool road that has the potential to help many people. I can't wait to watch it all unfold.

The Nichols' Family said...

Matthew 19:26
Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible."

My prayers are with you now and always. Thank God for God!

Anonymous said...

Beth, sending my love and support and especially my prayers. Evan is perfect (as you said). He is EXACTLY that way God intended him to be.

Shannon said...

I am SO PROUD of you Beth! This is a beautiful example of a strong woman of the Lord, trusting and relying on Him, while dealing with life's circumstances realistically("not in a bubble"). You are a Strong Woman and Fantastic Mother and a Wonderful example to us all as Mom's how to fight for our kids!! I am praying for you guys and a big fan!!!!!!!!!!!!

heather b said...

I am sitting here just amazed at God's provision for Evan in giving him a mother like you....seriously Evan is one lucky or should I say blessed young man to have you as a mom...you amaze me. This was one long post and you captivated me from the getgo. You are so articulate with what this journey has been like and then so informational for those of us who may not understand. If there is one thing I am learning lately about God...it's that He never put us on this earth to live a life full of comfort and without struggle. We miss His calling if we are only working toward "American Dream Living". Beth, your life will be so full with this new challenge....I know it is easier for me to say because I am not the one facing it...but some of the other difficulties I have faced head on with honesty and courage through God's strength have brought me more joy and more and more of God's blessing and provision in my life....

You inspire me......

Nook said...

Sweetie, you know I love you and am so proud of you! Thank you for sharing with me along the way. Letting people know how to pray for you and Evan and your family is letting those who love you bear this heavy load with you. You are never alone. I know that Evan is a great kid, I've witnessed it. I think that what you are doing to advocate awareness is amazing. You've told me before that you were uncertain of your purpose. I think God has shown you. Whatever you need, whenever you need it, I'm here. I LOVE YOU!

Now could somebody get me a kleenex? Seriously.
~Shan

Anonymous said...

Beth -
I have known you all of your life since the day your spirit was first placed in your mother's womb. I love you with all of my heart and will NEVER leave your side. It pleases me to see you, your family and your friends turning to me during your struggle. You know that I am taking you to the valley to get fed. Fruit bearing trees don't grow at the top of the mountain. You can't learn, grow, or move closer to me when all is well at the top of the mountain. There, you are ready to soar and sometimes stop growing because there isn't a reason to continue to grow (when everything is well). This is how you grow in faith and I have no doubt that you and Shawn are growing closer to me everyday. Shawn prayed to me last night; and I answered his prayer. He doesn't see it yet. His perspective is that he is much farther from hearing me than he really is ...he is just about there and when he arrives, I will help you with the "why's" and then I will help you find a way through it. Psychological disorders aren't necessarily a product of genes or heredity or something gone wrong physically. Come to ME and I will help you and your family be healed of this disease (the disease of the Devil) by first showing you my undying love. You have not done anything to deserve this; Evan was placed with your family because of your strength, your strength in loving him and your faith in ME. I know your path; I know your plan. I designed it. MY timing is impeccable. Come to ME and we will work through this together. I will help you.

Love,

Jesus (c/o Cheryl)

Anonymous said...

Beth and family,
Phil and I read your blog and our hearts just sat in our throats. I feel sad that you felt you had to "hide" the pain you and your family were expericing. I am relived though that you are trusting us now to share your story. It makes me wonder if we are doing enough to support each other on a daily basis. I am relieved that you have found a nuturing and positive way to manage this. Educating teachers is a WONDERFUL idea. I am sure you are great at it too! Our thoughts and prayers will be with Evan and all of you.
God Bless,
Gretchen

Anonymous said...

Beth,

Like others, I am SO proud of you for your courage & for your determination to do whatever it takes to fight for your son & to educate those who are "in the dark" about this condition.

Evan (& Grant & Blake!) are SO, SO blessed to have you as a Mommy & Shawn as a Daddy! :) We don't get to pick our "lot" in life, do we? But God knows what He's doing when He assigns the hard tasks to us ~ He knows if we will handle it by drawing our strength & courage from Him ~ just like He knows who WON'T choose to stand under the pressure!

You have definitely proven to God that you are worthy of this call. Evan will thank you one day ~ I just cannot even begin to express how much I wish I had your strength. I wish that I could go back & start over with my boys ~ so that they would feel like I was an ADVOCATE for them...You truly do inspire me ~ Thank you!

Brian & I are praying for you all! God has such a special plan for your sweet family!

You better call me woman so that we can r/s the "no kids" evening for you & Shawn! Ahem! ;) Love you Sister!!!

Jessica Dickinson Goodman said...

Hi Beth,

I found this through my google news search for "aspergers" and "school". I loved your descriptions of Evan--invisible disabilities are so hard to explain sometimes (I am the older sister of an Aspie). Reading your post I thought of two thing: a phrase which I have found very descriptive with my Aspie (and other ASD) friends is that they "do not read social cues". To me, it's not about a lack of empathy, it is not reading a person's bodylanguage that says "I am so tired of hearing about Pokemon, shush!". Which is why families with Aspies tend to be very literal with them--because they don't pickup sarcasm or irony.

One creative solution which worked for my family in helping my brother smooth some of his rough edges (ie, make it easier for him to interact meaningfully with a larger number of people) is we decided he should start reading. We started pushing this about 6th grade (he could read before then, but just didn't like to) with Darth Maul books and other trashy Star Wars books. We made him read them out loud and for a long time his sequencing issues made it so he would forget everything he read. However we kept at it, and this summer (the summer between 9th and 10th grade) he started reading books I haven't gotten to--Larry Niven, Anne McCaffrey, and of course "Eragon". Up until very recently we had to bother him about reading, but lately he has been complaining of being tired--too much staying up under the covers with the flashlight!

There are a lot of Pokemon themed books which you might get Evan hooked on--or Star Wars. If he doesn't like reading/doesn't read fast enough to keep up with the plot (something I had trouble with at his age) there are hundreds of books on tape. My brother listened to so much Harry Potter he had a British accent for months.

Because Aspies take longer to socialize and mature (and because in our society book worms are ok being loners) reading has two benefits for Aspies: 1) it gives them a broader base of information so they can keep up on the subjects their peers are interested in in preparation for future friendships. 2) it allows them a "socially acceptable" escape--and while books aren't as good socializers as people, they can be a lot better than video games or TV.

I keep on reading about "cures" for Aspergers and it makes me sort of sad. I get that, given the choice, it might be simpler to pass as normal, but as I heard on NPR today, "normal is just a setting on the washing machine". Evan will teach you such greater empathy and his siblings have the potential to become maturer, stabler people from growing up with Evan. I have never regretted my brother's diagnosis (I have regretted his focus on Pokemon for 6 years, but all things pass in time).

I am working on a way to educate regular education teachers with mainstreamed special education student on creative solutions for their Aspie students--a project which I never would have thought of if it had not been for my brother.

Good luck, and never forget: there are hundreds and thousands of families like yours who have learned to figure out how to live with and love their Aspies. And we love to share.

BlondesPoopMascara.blogspot.com said...

Beth_ WOW!! You are incredible and I love your transparent heart!! Thank you for sharing...I had no idea!! I am praying for you, Evan and your family!!

Anonymous said...

wow what iv just read about your son is XACTLY what iv been going thru with my 7 year old!reading your blog gives me a lil hope and relief that im not the only one out there.thank you

Christina said...

Beth, Thank you so much for sharing. We of course will be praying for your journey. My cousin, who is 11 just was diagnosed with this so I have some background info but you really did help me understand it better. God takes the "least" of us and uses it for His glory. Whenever I have a shortcoming of some sort - I always think back to Moses and how he had a speech delay - yet God used him to free the Israelites. God uses everyone and anyone. God will use Evan in amazing ways - you just wait and see.

Anonymous said...

Praise God for you and Shawn! And especially praise God for our perfect Evan! What a blessing you ALL are!
LL

Anonymous said...

My Goodness! Beth, I never cease to be amazed @ God's goodness to His children!!! Look @ how many people have replied to your very candid, very brave & very honest blog, saying that you INSPIRE them or that they just "happened" to stumble across your blog when doing a Google search...I don't believe in "coincidences" like that ~ they've just got GOD written all over it!

I just want to remind you that you are being used by God in more ways than you probably realize, Sister-Girl! ;)

I love you ~ God loves you WAYYY MORE!!! ;)

Melissa said...

Beth,

I am so proud of you and all you are doing for Evan and others. God is using you in a mighty way. You are really going to be able to help so many as you are learning on how to parent and love Evan and give him God's best. I am praying for you all. God bless!

Anonymous said...

Beth and Shawn, we are so proud of you to be sharing your journey with Evan with all of us. It is our highest hope that through education, Evan and other children with this syndrome, will be understood and accepted, not misjudged and rejected. You know we are always here for you and the boys...for whatever we can offer. We love 'ya...God bless!

Mom and Dad

pwdrd donuts said...

Here's what I'm feeling lately: Life is hard, confusing, frustrating,unexpected. Also feeling that God is confusing, completely frustrating, and slow to answer.

So we're both 37 right? Well, at 37 I do realize that I COULD NOT do it, manage the world, that is. And then to try and manage ALL the pain??? Not a chance.

Something else I wonder about: why does HE let all the pain happen?

I realize that these are answers I will probably never get, and definitely not understand. So the positive, at least for me, is this:

I do believe that HE (and HE alone) is...

SOVEREIGN

That word means alot. But to me it means, though I may not understand, though I may be frustrated with HIM (which HE can handle by the way) that I believe HE is IN ALL and OVER ALL.

And because, when bad comes to worse it is my only option, I will put my faith and... (big sigh) my trust, in HIM. Because HE is sovereign...and I'm just not. But HE is.

You are brave, strong, courageous, capable, hopeful, faithful, loving, overcoming, bold, brilliant, resilient, compelling, powerful, righteous, and ABLE - by HIS strength.

Love and prayers to your family.

Hoosier Hoffmans said...

Hi Beth,
Thanks for sharing your heart about your beautiful son, Evan. God never gives us all the answers (at least, I usually don't get any!) but He promises to always be with us through every situation. I know God is giving you the strength and wisdom that you need to be the perfect Mommy for Evan and your other boys. We will be praying for you. I know God has an incredible journey ahead filled with wonderful adventures!

On those days that are really hard, keep clinging to Jesus!

Your sister in Christ,
Mai Xia

Anonymous said...

Beth,
This was a pretty neat post. I'm sure it has to be a big relief for you to start to find some answers to all of the questions that your family has had for so many years. Please don't hesitate to ask if you need additional resources for materials and/or people who work with kiddos who have ASD/AS. Being in the field, I know a lot of people and would love to help in any way.
Blessings,
Sarah

Anonymous said...

Beth, I always knew that you were a strong and caring person, and you are proving that more and more. Not only are you helping your son, but sharing and educating the rest of us.
Please know that all of you are in my prayers and with God's help you will be able to stay strong - raising your son to be all that he can be.

Love,
Kathie

The Liller Family said...

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to thank you all so much for your comments this past week! We're taking things 1 day at a time, but I know your support and prayers are helping us!!!

Your comments and emails have been overwhelming - we're so grateful to have each and every one of you in our lives.

So again, we thank you from the bottom of our hearts - and I know Evan will too someday!

Love you all!
~Beth & Shawn

Anonymous said...

I am very taken with your description of dog vs. cat people. I included it in my blog post about my son who also has social-cognitive challenges:
"Living in a Cat World"
http://blogs.sun.com/katysblog/entry/living_in_a_cat_world

Thank you for publishing Evan's story.
My prayers are with you and your family.
Katy

Anonymous said...

was looking for stuff for kids like me i train cats for aspergers kids tenere kingdom (you can google me) im like a cat too

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your courage in sharing Evan's story. I know that God is on this journey with you Beth, and He has great things for Evan. He is truly a blessed boy to have parents like you and Shawn who are fighters and not settlers. I pray for wisdom for you as you continue to find answers in guiding Evan's life - you are in my heart and my prayers. Love you! Sandy Poe

Anonymous said...

Wow! What an amazing story! Evan is such a wonderful gift from God! You wrote that so beautifully and it took such courage! I am so proud of you! God is looking down and smiling at you and Shawn. We love you so much and will continue to keep you and your family in our prayers.
Love,
Linda and Kevin Cassidy

Michelle said...

Hi Beth,that was such an amazing story, you and your family have really gave me a great understanding of AS in concrete text and to the point i like it!!! I was wondering if you could e-mail me the presentation you did in Evan's school [staff in-service day]it would really help me with my studies at college as one of my assignments is on Aspergers Syndrome.I would really appriciate it ALOT!!! You were so right saying the public need to know about AS, but i think the whole world does too. I will help as much to let people know what AS really is about!!!! you and your family are in my prayers, Thank you kind regards, Michelle.IRE

The Liller Family said...

Michelle,
Sorry I'm just now seeing your comment. Send me your email and I'll send you the PowerPoint. Thanks for your comment!

Anonymous said...

Your blog is just what I needed to read today. Our son, 7, has many signs of aspergers and we hope to get an actual dx in late March when we have a full evaluation done. Our son is a great kid who is extremely creative and smart. However, he does struggle with social skills and integration. This leads to low self esteem, which can snowball into other things down the road. Thus is why we want to get an accurate DX and create the most effective plan of action to best help him. I just think that all the measures you have taken with your son are wonderful. I do believe the passage is to true when it says "I know the plans that I have made for you". I have to remind myself of this passage when I face my own difficult times. Anyway, thank you for sharing your story. Sometimes as parents, we feel like we are the only ones who have gone through certain experiences with our kiddos and it is nice to know that we are not alone. Hopefully, we will all be more open to sharing our stories and building an even stronger support system for the sake of our kids & our families.

Anonymous said...

You have a beautiful son and I can tell you love him very much. My name is Laura and I'm a young adult with Asperger syndrome. I am currently working on my psychology degree with future plans for graduate school. Like Evan, I live in a "cat" world where I prefer a lot of alone time to large group interaction. I prefer to communicate with my friends online than in public social settings. I am very happy most of the time being surround by my family and animals, along with the people I talk to at university. I have little to no desire to invite people over or go to parties.

Cobwebs said...

I love the "cat" analogy as it is so true. Have you read the book "All Cats Have Asperger Syndrome" by Kathy Hoopman? This is the book I used to explain to my own son and family members about his Aspergers when he was diagnosed. I picked it as he adores our cat, and the fact that it explains Aspergers in an easy to digest way.

You clearly love your family and want to do the best for them. I know it is hard work but always worth it for the little things we get in return even just a smile. But more importantly if one persons understanding of the condition is improved through reading blogs such as yours then it can only help others.

Best wishes x

Choosana said...

Hi, was googling 'Liller' to see if I could find any family of my husband's side. I clicked to see this site because it also has ADHD and Aspergers Syndrome. All of my girls were diagnosed with ADHD, and last year my youngest was doing things like Evan, she is a year younger. We've been to psychiatrists, and we've tried all the meds. With my oldest I knew from experience diet modification helps, but also involving them in sports helped us. Just wanted to tell you I was touched by your sharing of this issue. My nephew is autistic, we have another relative on the Liller side who has a different form of Aspergers that effects her hearing/comprehension; all very intelligent children, just not 'dog' people--love how you put it that-makes so much sense to me! I don't know if we are related. Besides- now one in 130? children are diagnosed with a form of autism now. But knowing we are not alone, especially during tantrums, death threats, and when the awful heart breaking suicidal tendencies appear...we can be stronger. You all in in my prayers-from one mom to another,
Susan

Anonymous said...

My son Jack, 11 years old, I believe has aspergers. I'm sure of it actually, although he has not been diagnosed. I have just moved to North East Indianapolis last week and am desperate for a 'great' referral to a psychologist who specializes in Aspergers kids. Any names or referrals? Also, very interested in learning of any play dates for aspergers kids. Thanks for any help! Shannon (shandelhen@yahoo.com)

Anonymous said...

I'm sure you will be inspired by Temple Gradin's story, she also has autism but by the constant efforts of her mom who refused to allow her brain to be idle, she graduated from college with her PhD and is now an inventer for cattle equiptment. I have her story in a text so I'm not sure how to share it with you but you can google Temple Gradin...I'm sure you'll be inspired...