THE LILLER FAMILY

THE LILLER FAMILY
Our Boys!

Tuesday, April 08, 2008

The Liller Wildlife Preservation

Yesterday was a beautiful day, so the kids were in the backyard playing on the playset when Blake yells to me that he and our neighbor Amanda found an "egg" in the playset. Well, I just thought they found an easter egg left over from the hunt - but when I go to look, I see a single egg (seriously, it looks like an egg you would fry up for breakfast) burrowed in the mulch in the sandbox area of our playset. I immediately thought it was a goose egg (which Grant thought was hilarious as he just had one of those on his eye - see 2 posts below for that story).

So this morning, we see the "goose", which is really a female mallard duck, sitting on her beloved "egg", while the daddy mallard swims in the lake right outside our fence. We make sure the dog doesn't go out (cuz' I'm sure that duck would take his head off if he got near her "baby"), and patiently wait for her to leave before going outside to play.

Once she's gone, everyone goes out to play (but I'm sure they were really just wanting to check out the "egg") and we see not one, but TWO eggs!

So my question is this . . . how long does it take for duck eggs to hatch??? Not sure how long I can keep the dog inside while she's sitting on the eggs - but we don't want to disturb her or the nest. I can't wait to see them hatch - this will be a great learning experience for the boys!!!

This was as close as I could get without upsetting her - my zoom lens was all the way out!
After she left, we got a picture of the nest burrowed in the corner.
So far, 2 eggs and counting... Scrambled or fried? (just kidding)



4 comments:

heather b said...

how cool! I'll call my dad today. He'll know. I think it is several weeks unfortunately. I'll let you know as soon as I figure it out.

Shannon said...

Oh my goodness!! We'll have to come over and see this and play of course. I'll email you so we can get together soon!!

sdoll said...

Hi Beth! We had 5 baby rabbits two years ago in the same exact spot! Clayton and his friend happened upon them and they scattered everywhere--they were soooo cute and the kids loved watching them! As far as how long until the eggs hatch...I have no idea :) Take care!

The Liller Family said...

Shannon Doll!!! How the heck are ya? How are the kiddies? We'll be in Cincy for a visit soon - email me your number so I can call you - I think I only have your address. Maybe Renee and I could just convince you all to come up here for a visit too this summer! You can click on her blog off mine. Love and miss ya!