THE LILLER FAMILY

THE LILLER FAMILY
Our Boys!

Monday, May 11, 2009

Tanner: January 20, 1996 - May 11, 2009

Today we had to say goodbye to our dog of 13 1/2 years. It was an easy yet extremely hard decision. He has been suffering for quite some time now, but I still hate that "we" had to decide when his time was up - it's not fair. He was our first "baby", and watching him die was difficult. I don't regret that we stayed with him as he went, and although it was quick and painless for him, it was still one of the hardest things we've ever had to do.

I, in particular, had not become fond of cleaning up his messes the past year or two. I think part of me felt it would be easier to just be done with it all - but I miss him, and feel bad to have been the one pushing this decision. I guess I'll live with the guilt for awhile, but I truly believe we made the best decision for HIM. He won't be in pain from his arthritus, he won't have to throw up or constantly urinate in our house, maybe he can hear now that his soul is in Heaven, and jump around with little effort. He was the best dog anyone could ever ask for, and he can never be replaced.

Tanner, thanks for giving us the best years of your life. We'll treasure the memories you gave us and you'll forever be in our hearts!




3 comments:

Shannon said...

Beth, thanks for sharing your story about Tanner. I don't know if you remember Gizmo, but he is our 14 1/2 year old Yorkie and he too is getting really old. He can't hear at all, has a collapsed trachea which causes him to cough horribly and he pees all over the house. We have to keep him in the laundry room now because he literally urinates every 20 minutes or so. I kept thinking he was doing it because we were leaving or he was mad about something, but I just don't know. What I want to say to you is not to feel guilty. I'm sure Tanner wasn't happy about urinating in the house (I believe dogs do have some dignity) and he was probably very uncomfortable from the other ailments age brings. You made the best decision for him even though it was one of the toughest you will have to make. Hang in there and know that you will be in our prayers.

The Liller Family said...

Of course I remember Gizmo - I remember him and Tanner playing together (I don't think Tanner liked being fenced in in our yard when he saw Gizmo strolling about your yard free as a bird - haha), he was a cutie. Sounds like he is having a lot of the problems Tanner was having, although I can't say he was urinating every 20 minutes - that must be horrible! Anyway, I know we made the best decision for him, just sucked for us!!! We also just got an estimate for our main floor to replace all the carpets (mostly the rooms he's gone in) and it's going to be roughly $3500! Ughhh! Keep me posted on Giz, love & miss ya!

pwdrd donuts said...

What a terribly tough decision. Sorry to all you guys. The boys okay? Dang, our little Mimi is a part of our family and I think I may have to be hospitalized when her time is up. These dogs get in your heart don't they?

Peace this week!