THE LILLER FAMILY

THE LILLER FAMILY
Our Boys!

Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Tragic Tuesday

Some people define "tragic" as catastrophic, terribly horrendous, monumentally shaking . . . and this might not be defined as one of those moments to you all, but it more than SUCKS for me!

Sorry for the rant here, but I'm so tired of the mounting dental bills due to the hereditary mouth problems I've inherited & have unfortunately passed on to my sons as well (sorry dad - no digs at you personally I hope you know, but the family history on oral upkeep isn't so great on the Elmlinger side of the family!!!). ;o)

Anyway, we're still paying off my root canal that was finished up last week - and the dentist and I even talked about this front tooth of mine as it's had a hairline crack for awhile now. The story is this: When I was 11 or 12, my friend Kelly and I were playing at her house on their swingset. Now you all remember those monkey bar swings right??? You know, the METAL ones that we used to use as a trapeze of sorts? Well, I happened to be standing behind it when Kelly let go, and it came back and smacked me right in the center of my mouth chipping my tooth. Back then, we had reasonable dentists who charged a REASONABLE amount of money for a cap - and let me also say that the dental work performed back then was (in my opinion) high quality b/c this particular cap is the same cap I got from Dr. Latta (God rest his soul) more than 25 years ago! In more recent years, a few dentists have argued that my cap is "thick", not greatly aligned with the rest of my mouth, that my gum lines don't match up, blah blah blah - but seriously, what do you expect from MORE THAN 25 YEARS AGO!!! Hello, I was a CHILD when this happened! If we had the cosmetic dentistry field figured out back then or knew what it would be today - do you really think my teeth would look the way they do now??? It's advanced just like the rest of the medical field has - which is great for the celebrities and the rest of the wealthy. But as much as I've dreamed about having beautiful bright white shiny perfectly aligned veneers, I certainly don't have the tens of thousands of dollars needed for that perfect smile!

Sooooooooooooooo here I shall poke fun at myself. I have taken a picture for your entertainment of my cracked cap/crown, or whatever they call it nowadays. I'm going to the tooth robber . . . I mean dentist, tomorrow morning to see if we can "quick fix" it so I don't look like a complete dork working the Brickyard Race this weekend! Any money we had hoped to make to pay off the last root canal and put the rest into savings will now have to be used for this issue. Or maybe I should just keep this look for posterity - what do you think???

Okay, I'm done now and I even feel a little bit better after venting my frustration. Thanks for listening!


No, my teeth aren't quite this yellow - but do you know how hard it is to take a picture of yourself of just your mouth in the bathroom (the kids bathroom too I might add, that has neon lime green walls)? Let's just say it took more than a few takes!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

OK - I am laughing so hard and trying not to pee my pants - this is priceless - not the tooth issue, but just the whole picture thing - I can just see you trying to hike yourself up on the counter, positioning yourself for that perfect shot. How I love ya you are too much fun!

Anonymous said...

I love the new look =). I also know your frustrations with the high cost of dental work - I was blessed to have no enamel on my teeth! And of course I have passed that on to at least one of mine also. Gary was blessed with outrageously crooked teeth and as the boys permanent teeth come in - I'm seeing major $$$$ being put into those mouths sometime in the near future. What can we do!?!

Anonymous said...

Nice picture Beth ~ the neon walls just make it even better!! LOVE that!
NEVER go through chemo!! It may save your life, but it will destroy your teeth!! (Apparantly I have Elmlinger teeth also)! :)
Praying today goes well @ the "tooth robber" :D
Love ya!
LL

Shannon said...

Wouldn't ya know it!! The funny thing is that with your picture from the nose down, I thought it was Grant!! Isn't that something!!
Well, I hope that this doesn't set you guys back. Believe me I know what you are talking about, except ours came in the form of a broken ac for 2 weeks of repair this month!!! UGHH!!!
Maybe we can get together next week!! Let me know what's on your schedule ;)!! Love ya, Shan

Bill Wolfe said...

You absolutely have to keep the cracked tooth during the Brickyard weekend. You'll fit right in with the crowd!

Sorry...I just couldn't resist that one.

I actually have two fake front teeth from when I was a teenager. I had to deal with a cracked tooth about 3 years ago. Not fun and not cheap!

The Nichols' Family said...

I recently told my Mom that this grown up life is not all it is "cracked" up to be...no pun intended really! Anyways...it seems like it is always something. But hey....you coud probably pull off this look for a few more days.

Thanks for the laugh today!

pwdrd donuts said...

I've had a reoccuring nightmare since the day I got my braces off in 8th grade (25 years ago...oh my freaking word!) ANyway, I fall down while running and knock out my front teeth.

Total bummer...glad you're taking it well. I think I'd rather break my leg or something.

Christina said...

I am guessing that if you did not get in before the brickyard -- I am sure you fit right in. As much as Idon't like paying the high prices of a dentist -- I thank God for them because Teeth are pretty important. Sorry for you bad day.

Anonymous said...

I completely understand Beth....I too have the exact same dreaded cracked tooth!!! Mine came from a moment of uhhhhmmm clarity when I was 9 and thought I could slide on mom's newly waxed floors like superwoman!!! Nope as you guessed it did not work out as planned. I just have bonding up front but betcha wouldn't have guessed if I didn't tell you. Good luck with the "tooth robbers" no wonder someone created the tooth fairy we just did not know we were supposed to save that cash for future expenses on our "permanant" teeth!!! :) ...I sympathize with you I have a whole mouth load of work done myself, I get mine from my dad's side too!:) Samantha.